Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital to Open One of the Area’s First Psychiatric Medical Care Units
Dover, NJ (December 9, 2019) – Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital will offer one of the area’s only specialized, voluntary inpatient units for those with psychiatric disorders who are currently experiencing a need for hospitalized medical care. The unit will open January 2020.
The Psychiatric Medical Care Unit is designed to treat patients with many psychiatric conditions including early stage dementia, major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder and mood disorders who are also experiencing a medical condition that may include but is not limited to diabetes, the need for oxygen, nebulizer treatments, hemodialysis, catheters, wound treatments, IV therapies, pregnancy and other medical conditions.
“The Psychiatric Medical Care Unit opening at Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital is unique and does not exist within many medical and psychiatric facilities in the area,” explained Brian Finestein, CEO, Saint Clare’s Health. “Patients will receive the highest level of psychiatric and medical care on the same unit. In many situations, the unit can reduce the inconvenience of patients having to be transferred back and forth between units, or even facilities, for medical and psychiatric care.”
Those being admitted to the unit will need to be referred by a primary care physician, psychiatrist, licensed practitioner, screening center or affiliate, emergency departments or medical units within Saint Clare’s that cannot meet the client’s psychiatric treatment needs.
Prior to admission, all patients shall receive a face-to-face assessment by a primary physician, licensed practitioner, and a psychiatrist. The patient will then be admitted to our newly renovated unit which displays calming colors and natural light. The staff is experienced in both behavioral and medical health.
“We are excited to be able to offer this service to our communities,” stated Jan Bednar, CNO, Saint Clare’s Health. “Saint Clare’s Health offers a vast array of inpatient, outpatient and emergency behavioral health services that are utilized by residents in Morris, Sussex, and Warren counties, and beyond. The Psychiatric Medical Care Unit at Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital offers our patients another level of service that takes into account their total health – psychiatric and medical.”
Criteria for Admission
Patients admitted to this unit need to meet the following criteria:
- Must be over 18 years of age, be able to sign consent for treatment, and demonstrate a willingness to engage in the necessary treatment options designed by the medical team.
- Diagnosed with a mental health condition and demonstrate behavior that will prevent the patient from healing if they do not receive immediate medical treatment.
- Additional acute medical care is needed but the patient is unable to be safely treated on a typical hospital medical unit due to suicide or other behavioral issues, or another service is not appropriate or available to meet the patient’s medical health care needs.
- Dementia patients will be admitted if their behavioral symptoms pose a danger to themselves or others, and those behavioral symptoms can be improved by short-term psychiatric intervention. The patient must engage in treatment and be willing to accept medication as recommended.
- Patients who come to the hospital with intoxication or substance use/abuse disorders, and have a documented psychiatric disorder, can be admitted to this unit. Withdrawal symptoms will be treated, and the patient will be asked to participate in a co-occurring disorder treatment approach.
- Patients with substance abuse and psychiatric disorder will be admitted if they meet the other provisions of the admission criteria.
Patients will be admitted with a primary acute need for inpatient behavioral health treatment for conditions such as:
- Bipolar disorders
- Major depression
- Mild dementia/early Alzheimer’s (must be able to voluntarily consent to treatment)
- Mood disorders
Co-occurring conditions may include:
- Acute/ chronic renal failure
- Benign, prostatic hyperplasia
- COPD/ asthma/ respiratory illnesses
- Continuous oxygen use
- IV therapy
- Simple and complex diabetes mellitus
- Physical/occupational therapy
- Wound care/ wound vacs
The examples listed above are not intended to be all-inclusive. Other conditions may apply.
For more information or to refer a patient for admission, call 973-316-1950.
About Saint Clare’s Health
Saint Clare’s Health is a CMS 5 Star Rated and an award-winning provider of safe, high quality, compassionate care, serving the communities of Morris and Sussex counties. Its network of hospitals and healthcare facilities include Denville Hospital, Dover Hospital, Behavioral Health Centers in Boonton, Denville, and Parsippany, and an Imaging Center in Parsippany, among other satellite locations. To learn more visit Saintclares.com and Like Us on Facebook.
CMS (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) 5 Star Rating is based on 100 rigorously tested quality measures at more than 4,000 Medicare certified hospitals as well as Veteran Health Administration and military health system hospitals.
Saint Clare’s Health is Joint Commission accredited and both Saint Clare’s Denville Hospital and Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital have been recognized by the following third-party organizations:
- Leapfrog A Rating for Patient Safety
- One of Healthgrades America’s 100 Best Hospitals for Coronary Intervention
- American Heart Association recognitions for:
- Get With the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award
- Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite Award
- Mission: Lifeline® STEMI Receiving Center – Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award 2018
- Three Year Accreditation Award with Commendation by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer
- Accreditations by the American College of Radiology in Radiation Oncology and Breast Imaging Center of Excellence
Saint Clare’s Denville Hospital’s Echocardiology Laboratory has been recognized by the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Echocardiology Laboratories and the Intersocietal Commission for Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories. It is also a recipient of the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners Care Award.
Saint Clare’s Dover Hospital has received Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQUP) Comprehensive Center Designation Joint Commission Accredited.
Visit our website at www.SaintClares.com